Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Team Success is Your Success

Last night my hockey team started the playoffs and we came away with a 4-0 victory. As I talked about pressure in the Blog yesterday; it was great to see us manage the pressure as the team rose to the occasion with a solid win. Although with my shutout; I think I may have risen a little higher than the rest as I provided the team with the necessary foundation that allowed us all to succeed. Ultimately it was a victory for the team and our work is not done and we will need to win one more before we move on.


Rising to meet the challenge is something we need do every day. There is constant pressure on us to deliver our best in an efficient and effective way. We all have skills that can help us achieve this goal of doing a great job and alleviating the pressure. If you don’t know how then you need to ask, you need to reach out; you need to look to your team. The team is an important key to success. We often here that there is no “I” in team, I think the team is a bunch of “I’s” who each bring a special skill to the benefit of the greater whole. It is about seeing the big picture and understanding how we fit into our current ecosystem.


Consider our Oracle knowledge and how we use a network of people to help us solve the unsolvable problem. I can tell you that when I encounter an odd error in Oracle how do I go about solving the problem? First I do my research, then I may move on to raising a Trouble report with Oracle and then I tie into my network of friends who I met with the help of the IOUG. This was why I became a member of the IOUG. It was about the network to help me solve challenges and to expend the experience base. I call these friends of mine and I would say that almost 90% of the time they help me solve the problem before Oracle support has even called back. This value is that my organization and my clients benefit from by being part of the IOUG. I would suggest you add the user community to your team. You don’t want to be the team that gets shutout; you need to be part of the team that has the best chance of success.

No comments:

Post a Comment